Policy Brief on Creating Sense of Urgency for Intervention in Conflict Affected Areas of Oromia, Ethiopia
This policy brief presents major findings of CDCB’s assessment conducted in conflict affected areas in Oromia Regional State. The ongoing violence in the region resulted in loss of lives; displacement of populations; destruction of properties; stagnation of development activities; and erosion of social cohesion. According to CDCB findings, currently close to 1.3 million people are displaced in Oromia. Among these only 29% (374,400) were placed in shelter centers. The remaining (71%) were dispersed within host communities. With respect to impact on education, the findings show that over 730 schools are closed while 210,000 school children rendered out of school and 117 teachers and education experts are no longer on their duties. In addition, social norms have been eroded in the conflict areas. Brutality, and lawlessness have become common as social institutions collapsed. A testimony to this was the massacre perpetrated in Sasiga Woreda of East Wallagga where fifteen Christians were killed while gathered for worship at Mekane Yesus Church in Begalo on November 6, 2022, by an armed group. This condition requires the restoration of peace and security; rehabilitation of the displaced people; and restoring the social fabric in an effort of maintaining the long cherished social cohesion.